Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday's Thoughts




The famous line from the ending song from the movie Yentl applies to me every day, "The more I learn, the more I realize the less I know."

Humility, to me, seems to be the key to really learning and growing. I find that the second I'm sure about something it doesn't take long until I find that I was either wrong or there may be a better way. I've found that in a lot of things in life there is no "right" way to do things. Yeah, sure, there are truths in the gospel that never change and are stead-fast and solid in my life, but I'm talking about day-to-day choices. What do I wear today? Which groceries will I buy? How, exactly, will I discipline my children? It's those daily choices that change frequently.

Some things remain the same like what shampoo I use or which TV Shows I watch, but those things even change over time. There's always a new and improved whitening toothpaste out there, or my favorite show may be cancelled after just a couple months. ( Pushing Daisies)

I guess, the point I'm trying to make is that I've tried to learn to be open to change and new ideas. And when my schedule or routine gets interrupted by, for example, having to go pick up a sick kid from school when I had planned something else entirely, that I should just go with the flow and not let it frustrate me. And I shouldn't be so hard-headed and think I'm right all the time cuz at least 75% of the time I'm wrong. I actually like being wrong sometimes cuz it's the only way my stubborn self can learn.

Being open to new ideas does not mean that I compromise my principles and/or morals. Those are rock solid and will never change. But, as long as I have them for a solid foundation I feel like I'm free to explore the world around me and soak up all the good there is to experience in this crazy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment